OCC's Master/Mate and OUPV courses are designed for power and sail boaters, commercial operators and yachtsmen wishing to pursue either a professional career, or part time work in commercial vessel operations, including carrying passengers for hire, and for recreational boaters wishing to increase both knowledge and skills. Click on the links below, or scroll down, to learn more.
- Operator of Un-inspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV)
- Near Coastal or Inland Master/Mate License (not in excess of 100 tons)
- Near Coastal or Inland License with Sail Option
These are not beginner courses, but rather intensive courses designed to teach students the skills needed to obtain a USCG license. Instruction will include general seamanship, Navigation Rules, Coastal Piloting and Plotting, weather, tides and currents, use of reference publications, deck operations and safety. The course structure ensures that students learn the subject matter, not just the answers to pass the test. Assitance towing is routinely included as part of our license training.
Online schedule and Registration
For information regarding 200 and 500 Gross Ton licenses, call OCC at 949.645.9412
Our course is available as a 2-week concentrated course with class meeting daily Mon-Sat, or for those who would like to work while attending classes, we have a 5-week course meeting evenings and Saturdays. Each course is intensive and fast paced.
These comprehensive courses offer the following:
- Students are provided with an official copy of the Navigation Rules, required charts, a Workbook and Study Guide, exercises, quizzes, and other study materials
- All the training required for either the OUPV or Master/Mate licenses, including Navigation Rules, general navigation, piloting and plotting, use of reference publications, deck operations, deck safety, and assistance towing
- Courses help position our program and students to meet new international requirements
- You test for your license at OCC
Text and Materials
The price of the course includes an official copy of the Navigation Rules, required charts, a workbook and study guide, exercises, quizzes and other study materials. Students will be responsible for providing additional books, plotting tools, and materials required for the class.
License candidates must be able to attend all classes and have ample time to study between class meetings.
This is not a beginner’s class, and completion of Navigation 1 and Navigation 2, or equivalent experience is strongly recommended. Students who want to obtain a USCG license should also have the following:
- Documented Sea Time - A minimum of 360 underway days as paid or colunteer skipper or crew for Master Inland/Mate Near Coastal and OUPV (720 days for Master Near Coastal)
- Proof of US Citizenship
- TWIC Card
- An original Social Security card
- Current CPR and First Aid certification. See the USCG website for recognized cards or sign up for our Red Cross course.
- A physical exam and and a drug screen (details prvided at registration)
Learn more about USCG Licensing Requirements:
National Maritime Center (NMC)
Licensing Applications & Forms
An in person registration appointment is required to register.
Early registration is strongly advised. This will allow students to receive individualized assistance in preparing their USCG license application and related documentation before classes start. Please contact the School at 949.645.9412 for information on the requirements of a Coast Guard license, prequalification screening, and future schedules.
USCG License Renewal
Don’t get caught with an expired license. Assistance with your USCG renewal is available by appointment. We can help with your application, documenting sea service, documentation of alternative service, tutoring on Coast Guard renewal tests, and/or pre-submittal scoring of the tests.
- $1200 – Master/Mate not in excess of 100GT/includes towing
- $1200 - Operator Un-inspected Passenger Vessel/includes towing
- $100 - Master/Mate Sail Vessel Option (4 hours)
- $100 - Early registration discount if registering 30 or more days prior to the start of class
- $50/hr - Optional Tutoring for currently enrolled students; by appointment only
- $75/hr - License Renewal: One hour minimum; by appointment only